A Little History
Until the 1930s, three Yoho brothers, Frank, Oscar and William, operated a general store in Solsberry, IN. Unfortunately, the store was destroyed by a fire in 1933. The current Yoho General Store was constructed in 1934. Otis Sullivan operated the general store until 1939. From 1940-1944, the building housed the Rotha Sim’s Rainbow Store. In 1944, townsmen Wayne Sherrow and Fred Cooksey operated the store. Then, in 1947, Dwight “a.k.a. Cotton” Yoho bought out Cooksey. The store operated as Sherrow-Yoho until 1950 when Yoho bought out Sherrow and renamed it the Yoho General Store.
Cotton and his wife Pearl operated the store for almost 50 years. Cotton past away in 1999 and Pearl past a year later. Their youngest son, Donnie, ran the store until his passing in October 2011. Lavon Yoho, Cotton and Pearl’s oldest son, operated the store with the assistance of his family and community members until CFC Properties purchased the building in July 2012.
After an extensive restoration, the Yoho General Store reopened on December 1, 2012, under the management of CFC Properties, the real estate arm of Cook Group, located in Bloomington, IN. As with many CFC Properties’ restoration projects, the original store fixtures, including the plank flooring, wood-shelving units and the Hot Blast Florence Stove were restored and reinstalled, thus helping preserve the history and heritage of the store.
Throughout its history, the Yoho General Store has been a gathering place for Solsberry residents and visitors alike. In the past, the Masonic Lodge and Eastern Star organizations met on the second floor.
Today, the store offers a dining area serving deli-style breakfast, lunch, and dinner, including the popular Yoho hand-scooped ice cream. Other goods, such as produce and necessity items, as well as gasoline are available making it an ideal one-stop location!